Monday, December 11, 2006
an eye for an eye?

I have every intention of donating my organs after I die. I don't see the point of them rotting inside of me, serving no purpose, while they could be keeping someone else alive.

Patricia Stanton, of Cheektowaga, NY, according to an article from the Buffalo News, received a cornea transplant in October, The first 65 years of her life were frustrating to an extent most of us will never be able to understand. The most her eyes allowed her to see were blurs. Her new found vision came only with the organ donations of a truly gracious person. For the first time in her life, she was able to see her 12 children. Two of them, she was able only to view pictures of, as their deaths occured previous to the operation.

This story touched my heart. It also made me realize how fortunate I am to have my body function properly. I take my sight for granted, oftentimes complaining about having to wear glasses and putting contacts in and whatnot. It also filled me hope. If more and more people are willing to donate their corneas after their death, more and more people would be blessed with the gift of sight. It's amazing.

According to http://www.eyedonation.org/history.html, cornea transplants exceed 33,000 in the United States every year. More than 1,100 of them occur in New York State alone.

That means thousands of people, who otherwise wouldn't be able to see, are able to.



SARAH.

GIRL.

SEVENTEEN.

SENIOR.

Technorati Profile